GO LOCAL GROUP
The Go Local Group organises visits to local places. In some cases these are visits which are available only for groups of people and not individuals. In other cases u3a members or local people take walks round their area, telling stories as they go. See Gallery for photographs.
GO LOCAL 2023
PROVISIONAL PROGRAMME (Times to be confirmed)
TUESDAY, 13TH JUNE – Guided walk round Ardglass Harbour to hear its stories from John Smith (and no doubt coffee in Watersedge afterwards). Free.
THURSDAY 22ND JUNE – Guided visit to Finnebrogue House with the owner, Noel Lamb. (http://www.finnebrogue.co.uk/history ) (no connection to bacon, sausages or tipis) . You may not know this house exists but it is fascinating for its history, its renovations and its art collection and those who visited it with us 2 years ago will verify that it is not to be missed. Mr Lamb asks for contributions to his charity so there is a charge, payable on the day, of £15pp for the basic tour or £30pp for a longer tour with madeira/ port and a sandwich. John and Agnes Peacock have offered a tour of their garden after the basic visit. Bookings to Sheila 075 70 103 100.
THURSDAY 29TH JUNE – Guided walk round Killough with Michael Healey. Free.
FRIDAY 7TH JULY – Guided walk round Loughinisland Churches with Paddy Killen. Free.
WEDNESDAY 19TH JULY – Visit to Downpatrick Railway with a couple of their volunteers to see their trains and hear what they have done and plan to do. Donation requested on the day.
SATURDAY 29TH JULY - a sail round Strangford Lough from Portaferry on board the St Brendan with the guidance of local tour guide, Brigid Watson
MONDAY 7TH AUGUST - a walk round Ardglass in the company of local historian, Michael Howland
The 2022 Programme
- Sunday 22nd May, 2pm, visit Alpaca Farm
- Saturday 11th June, Afternoon Racing at Downpatrick, Dunleath Suite (book)
- Wednesday 15th June, 2pm, Visit to Raymond Walls’ Motoring Memorabilia (book)
- Wednesday 6th July, 2pm, Walk and Talk in Ardglass (Part 1), with Brendan
- Thursday14th July, 2pm, Walk and Talk in Castlewellan with Marian McGreevy
- Thursday 28th July, 2pm, Walk and Talk (Group 2) in Ardglass with Brendan
- Thursday 4th August, 2pm, Walk and Talk in Comber, with Comber u3a
- Monday, 8th August, 11.30am, Newry Canal Bus Trip and Talk with Newry Maritime Association (book)
- Tuesday 16th August, 2pm, Walk and Talk in Ardglass (Part 2), with Brendan
- Monday 5th September, Bus to Kilkeel with a walk and talk round the harbour with Roy
- Tuesday 13th September, walk & talk round Portaferry with the Portaferry & Strangford Trust followed by tea/coffee and scones in the Narrows (£10)
- October 11th Tollymore National Outdoor Centre
- October 4th Elmfield House and Gardens, Gilford (£15)
- September 21st Killyleagh (Dougie Marr)
- September 16th Crawfords Rock (with Culinary Group)
- September 7th Castleward (Marian & Frank McGreevy)
- August 26th Finnebrogue House (Noel Lamb) £10
- August 2nd Strangford (Colm Rooney)
- July 26th St John’s Point (Maureen Kelly)
- July 15th Loughinisland (Paddy Killen)
- July 5th Dundrum (Marian McGreevy)
- June 22nd Struell Wells (Dr Finbar McCormick)
- June 18th Portaferry (John Murray)